001. Eli met Annon at the tavern where he had been resting after acquiring substantial injuries, after a brief greeting they set off for Selvar to collect Albaric’s book from an old colleague of his (named Thistleo) as they knew if it was not retrieved soon it would not be long until Albaric himself mounted and rode to Selvar.
002. Upon arrival they were bombarded by recruitments-men begging for a signature of a sell-sword contract. Eli and Annon, both used to the chaos of life in a large township bowed their heads and walked on at brisk pace without saying a word.
003. Annon cut through the town in order to save time and took a route through an alley way. While passing through Eli noticed a cloaked figure entering a door way of what appeared to be an abandoned building. They waited until the man had gone before they took a closer look and Eli found a carving in the wood of the rail which ran alongside the steps to the door. The carving read “The Night’s Reflection – slip in for refuge under the shadows”.
004. The pair carried on down the passage, Annon running his blade along the wall as they went. RRRRIIIIIIPPPPP! Something had torn. The two looked up at the wall, then at the ground and saw two halves of a wanted poster. LEPT LESSER: Rapist, charlatan, unlicensed thief, crook, murder and causing general disturbance. Wanted alive. Reward – 1000 gp.
005. Eli and Annon came out of the alley on the other side of town and were met with Thistleo’s residence, they could see the portly man waiting for them standing at a window on the top floor and so of course he saw them as soon as they emerged. He rushed downstairs to greet them.
006. After tea, apple cake and formalities Thistleo expressed some concern for Albaric being too concerned with his work. Thistleo explained that he has known Albaric a long time and is always happy to assist with his work whenever possible, however lately Albaric had not been to see him personally; he just sent employees and residents of the observatory and now the party.
007. Both Eli and Annon felt uncomfortable with the conversation and tried to skip the pleasantries and collect the book for Albaric. Thistleo handed over the cloth wrapped book and told the party that he enjoyed their company.
008. On the way to Thistleo’s door, in the square Annon had noticed a shoppe he wished to visit; ‘The Portable Ram Co.’. The pair headed for the entrance as a dwarf sized door ram is hard to come by at the best of times (unless it’s dwarf-made – but who has the gold for that?). They entered and began to browse the wares and Annon immediately spotted what he was looking for.
009. The enquiry of the price was a little heated and Annon wanted to test the ram before he paid the price. The shoppe keep took him to a small yard to test prototypes of the models of rams sold in the shop. Annon and the shoppe keep continued to argue about rams and their cost until Annon mentioned the subject of the wanted man, the reward weighing heavily on his mind.
010. Chaos ensued when Annon could not get the price or the information he wanted, he threatened the shoppe keep until he blurted out “MY SISTER KNOWS OF THE MAN, SHE SAYS HE WAS A GOOD MAN, WORKED HARD, SHE FREQUENTS THE EMPTY KRAKEN…BUT I KNOW NOTHING ELSE!” Anon threw the gold for the ram of his choice at the blubbering old man (along with some extra in the hope he would not inform the guard) and left with Eli to visit The Empty Kracken.
011. Annon and Eli arrived at the bustling tavern, it was almost full to the rafters of patrons. While Annon spoke to that tavern master and paid for the ale, Eli had already begun scouting the area. He noticed a familiar face. Lept Lesser – the portrait on the wanted poster.
012. The pair strategically managed to coax the tavern master into seating them next to the table that Lept Lesser sat at with two others (even though this did entail moving a group of ladies from their table to another, much closer to the boiling steam room of a kitchen). After sitting they began to eavesdrop on the wanted table. They could not distinguish many words due to the din in the building however they could tell that the group were planning to flee from Selvar.
013. A Pair of guards walked in to The Empty Kracken and headed straight for the bar to converse with the tavern master. After a short conversation Annon and Eli saw the tavern master point them out to the guard and Annon had already begun to slip away from the table. The guards made their way to their table to take them under arrest.
014. Annon headed for the table of the wanted man and his party and Lept Lesser (the wanted) slowly got up and started to edge towards the exits with the rest of The Kracken’s patrons.
015. The guards tried to move towards Annon and Eli and grab them – Eli could not step back fast enough and was caught by one of the guards. Annon edged away and tried to hide among the people however he noticed quickly that his pursuer could still see him. Annon then pointed out Lept Lesser and tried to offer to split the reward. The guard insisted he could take the whole reward if he took both him and Lesser and maybe even more.
016. Eli shook the guard off and began to head towards the now diminishing crowds of fleeing people, his attacker threw a spear at Eli aiming to stop him in his tracks and Eli readied to retaliate.
017. Annon shuffled towards the table Lesser’s associates were still sat at and instantly saw his opportunity. He put his machete to the man at the table’s throat, holding his head in a firm lock. He warned the guard not to come any closer and to accept the offer of a share of the reward money. The guard continued to advance and Annon slit a fatal wound across the mans neck. An explosion of blood drenched the table in front of him and he slumped dead in his chair.
018. The few patrons left that had decided not to run in favor of watching the commotion now darted for the door.
019. Eli and his attacker were fixed on each other, battling viciously all the time Eli was taking the combat closer to the exit.
020. Annon’s opposer shot towards him and the bloody table and the conflict became a free-for-all. A mess of bribery to stay in the building, and to not inform the rest of Selvar’s guard and murder, blood and violence.
021. Annon tried to make a hostage of Lept Lesser’s female companion, he trapped her against the tavern wall and warned her not to try and escape. He ordered Eli to take over. Eli approached and grabbed the woman, he asked her why she would associate with this criminal and she pleaded and begged, said he was a good man and was not guilty of the charges he was labelled with. Eli let the woman run out of the door to safety.
022. After the dust had settled (temporarily) the pair looked around, both were wounded and they had with them two guards, one dead, one gravely wounded, the wanted man (unconscious on the tavern floor) and his companion (who looked a sight that is best not described). Annon and Eli helped themselves to a robust drink from the bar and began to board the front windows and doors. They sat, drank and contemplated their fate.
023. After a while they could see a glow emerging from the cracks in the boards and they heard a wild and livid chant. An angry mob of the town and their guard had formed and began to surround the tavern.
024. The pair considered staying, trying to bribe further, bargain their way out however they accepted their fate: they had to flee. Annon threw his drink over a table and bench blocking the main door and threw a burning candle onto it and turned to face the back of the tavern. He tried to push the wanted man out of a back window (in the hope that he will hold some of his value). He was a dead weight, Annon nor Eli could haul him out fast enough and so they left him behind and ran into the night. There was only one place they suspected to be safe: The Night’s Reflection.